Here is the definition of Empath according to an online source:
- (chiefly in science fiction) a person with the paranormal ability to apprehend the mental or emotional state of another individual.
So what usually happens is the Highly Sensitive/Intuitive person can get a multitude of "symptoms" going on. Here are a few examples:
- Neck Pain
- Knee and foot pain
- Even a sore throat
- Panic Attacks
Let's dive into these a bit and let me offer you some ideas that may help.
Let's talk about the first list-
- Headaches and Nausea- Headaches are not only extremely common when stressed but when a person gets bombarded with SO much outside energy it adds a physical stress to the body. Now believe it or not...nausea can occur when you have increased muscle tension. And with stress headaches..it's ALL muscle tension. Nausea can also kick up simply when your body goes on overload from being around dense energy.
- Fatigue- this is also GREATLY common when taking on SO much outside energy. Whether you realize it or not..you are CONSTANTLY trying to ground yourself and block the energy. Thus expending your OWN energy which in turn drains you. Almost seems self defeating doesn't it?
- Irritability, Anxiety, Panic Attacks and Depression- It's so easy to feel ANY of these this time of year. We tend to worry about how everyone else is doing and take less time and focus on ourselves and making sure WE are OK. And so we spend countless hours planning and prepping for the holidays that usually equals STRESS. Some people have anxiety/panic attacks simply because of having to surround themselves with others which is NOT their comfort zone (and usually because they are highly sensitive to other people's energy and usually aren't aware of it). Irritability comes from not knowing WHY they feel the way they do. Think about it, how unnerving it must feel to FEEL something or someway but have no idea WHY! It's like having a sliver in your foot that you can't see but you KNOW it's there and it hurts!
- Neck, Foot, Knee Pain and Sore Throats- I bet you are scratching your head wondering what in the hell these things have to do with being Highly Sensitive/Intuitive and how it ties into the holiday season! Let me enlighten you then. Neck pain is often associated with carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. When you are the one doing all the planning and prepping for your family it can take it's toll. And that is a lot to handle oneself. But if you are also feeling everyone around you...they can literally be a pain in the neck for you without you truly realizing. This leads me into the Sore Throat. I often find that people will bite their tongues and "play nice" because it's the holidays even when someone is doing something that goes against every fiber of their being. In such cases..a sore throat may pop up. Yes, I am fully aware of all the flu bugs and stuff that are going around..but this is a bit different. In this case, a sore throat is from holding your words in. It's like they just sit there and fester..and as they do..your throat gets sore. Difference between a viral sore throat and a sore throat I am speaking of here? Well if you recognize that you are truly holding your tongue and holding in your words perhaps you find a way to "speak your truth" in a non destructive way...you may find the sore throat eases and goes away. It's AMAZING how our body physically reacts to things! As for foot and knee pains....these most often indicate not moving forward on your path. Perhaps, you hesitate to do what you truly want this time of year because you don't want to "step on toes" or hurt feelings. When you hold back and don't find a middle ground you have the potential of developing knee and foot pain. Your knees and feet are what carry you forward in perpetual motion--if you are even subconsciously thwarting their efforts they will revolt! Trust me, I know from personal experience here!
I mentioned a few ideas when talking the "Symptoms"...but let me break it down.
- It's so VERY important to recognize what or who you are taking on excess energy from. Often when we can pinpoint the origin we can help ease the tension. Which in turn can help alleviate headaches etc
- I have said this before and will say it again! EPSOM salt baths!!! These not only help detoxify your body and are SO relaxing! But they also help clear unwanted energy..like..ANYONE else's but YOUR OWN! Even better is when you can use an essential oil of your liking such as lavender or chamomile with it and create an aromatherapy bath as well!
- USE YOUR WORDS! Do NOT bottle everything inside! Yes, there is a time and place for everything. And NO, this doesn't mean lashing out on your Sister Susie during the holiday meal because you are fed up. BUT what it DOES mean is to be vocal when you are feeling overwhelmed. Ask for HELP! If someone is truly driving you nuts...quietly tell them you don't appreciate whatever it is they are saying and doing and can talk more about it later in private.
- SAY NO!!! I am guilty of this as well! Seriously..you DON'T have to do it all when it comes to the shopping, the cleaning, the wrapping, the cooking, the prepping etc! And NO you don't have to volunteer for EVERY event that comes up either! You have a voice..USE it! This also goes for not being a doormat and let everyone around you dictate what you do. Keep moving forward with kind and gentle energy and your Knees and Feet will THANK YOU!
- More SAYING NO! Indulgence is rampant this time of year! Whether it's eating, or drinking or shopping. And with all three usually comes regret..so do it in moderation! This is ESPECIALLY important for someone who is highly sensitive/intuitive as we tend to go OVERBOARD in a way to compensate for not grounding ourselves properly. So if you find yourself buying more..or indulging more...perhaps it's time to find your "Happy Place" (often times it can be just getting your feet or hands in the soil/sand if you are an Earth Element to help ground yourself). Everyone has that ONE thing that helps calm them..FIND IT and get grounded again! Trust me..you will feel SOOOOOOO much better!
- Get REST! When feeling fatigued don't keep pushing through it...REST! So very important for self care! And getting rest..as well as drinking LOTS of water..are two things you have TOTAL control over. So DO IT!
- Simply be aware. The more you start to open your eyes and see how energy affects you personally..the easier it is to manage it all.
And remember..recognizing and acknowledging are half the battle!
Until Next Time....
Much Love, Light N Gratitude
"Keep walking forward with a open and grateful heart."